14 February 2011

emerging from hibernation

It has been a particularly brutal winter.  Peoria set a total winter snow-fall record and I'm sure Champaign came close.  The garden has been covered under several inches of snow for most of the past 2 and a half months, which is great for the strawberries, garlic and perennials that rely on the insulation.  Not so great for a 2 year old and her mama who just want to go OUTSIDE!


So, let me show you what we have been doing the past couple of months.



A little baking, building, cooking, knitting, sewing, playing in the snow and reading.  Hopefully by the end of the week we will be outside enjoying warmer weather and cleaning up the garden.  This fall did not leave much time for cleaning and storing the garden hardware so it has to be done now.  

Seeds will also be started tomorrow and pictures of the tiny green shoots are soon to come!  

1 comment:

  1. You're starting seeds already! Wow! I'm so jealous! I've only just sent in my seed order. I'm so behind already.

    I agree with you on last fall - I have such a mess to get to this spring before I can start planting. But my garden is under (no exaggeration) about 3-4 feet of drifts. It's going to be a while before I get started out there. I did manage to get the raspberries cut back and the apple trees pruned this weekend, though.

    And just because I'm jonesing so hard for garden veggies right now, I started a tray of lettuce this weekend in the hopes of having some little baby lettuce to eat in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how well they will grow in a sunny window, but I'm hopeful!

    It looks like you've had a busy winter!

    ReplyDelete